Saturday, July 4, 2009

Interval Session Twelve...

Wow. Reality check. The end of week four. That's hard for me to believe, really. I had a good session today. I have to say though that my legs really are getting a workout. I made it to the trailhead at around 9:30 AM... and it was already nearly 80 degrees. I really do need to get a CamelBak unit. I felt a little n=better hydrated today but it was the AM. An afternoon run in that heat would have been brutal.

I'd invested in some new shoes Thursday evening. I bought a pair of Asics Gels & they worked great today. So the old New balance pair thta I was wearinf daily went into the trash & the previous pair of Asics are now relegated to the daily wear slot. Supposedly the shoes need to be swapped out approximately every 100-miles or so. The old Asics didn't have that much cushion to begin with.

I got clipped twice today by cyclists. The first guy never even acknowlegded me. The second guy turned uis head & mutter "Watch where you're going." Excuse? You were overtaking me, MORON! I hate them. It's not the mom-n-pop cyclists. It's the wannabee "racers". The speed limit on that trail is supposed to be 10 MPH. most of those clowns try to do 15 to 20 MPH. Virtually NONE of them utter any warning when they're passing. I'm toying with the idea of running with an Escrima baton in my left hand.

Other than that, it was a good session. I think I get a little further down the trail every weeek. My pace & gait seem to be evening out & picking up a bit. Ultimatly, I don't really care about the distance. I'm more interested in maintaining the length of exercise. As I've said, my legs are too short to match the BPM that they provide on the MP3's. Try to match it while walking forces me to skew my stride & aggravates the shins. Trying to do so while running would wear me out prematurely. I've made that mistake the other times that I've attempted to begin a running program. I want to take my time on this one & actually work my way up so that I can do some decent road work a few times per week.

No comments: