Thursday, July 2, 2009

Interval Session Eleven...

Wednesday afternoon was the second session of week four in the Couch-to-5k training. Once again I was at the McMillin trailhead. The weather said that the temperatures were in the mid-70's. It felt more like the mid 80's to me.

Again I noticed that the cardio & respiratory are adapting well. Even my shins & calves feel like they're getting used to transition & running. However, one thing I have to mention: My quads & hamstrings are getting HAMMERED! I know why. It's because I've adjusted my gait to prevent the slamming on each step. So my quads & hamstrings are taking up the slack & getting a lot more work due to the flexing. So... by the time I finish a session, I feel like I've done squats & deadlifts. I've actually gained back around 10-pounds due to the legs getting this workout.

This means that I'll need to maintain a full stretching program every day of the week. Not just as I do before and after the runs. I'm going to need to be doing the full gamut of stretching including the glutes, back, hams, quads... all of it. I'm going to need to do it every single day. Otherwise my upper legs & glutes are going to become so tight that I begin having lower back & knee issues all over again.

On another note, I’m actually looking at one other local martial arts \ self-defense school. This one is the NW Kali \ JKD Academy. They teach an amalgamated system of Jun Fan Gung Fu (KJD), Kali & Silat. This is a fairly complex system. The Filipino systems traditionally teach weapons first, as the movements between weapons & empty hands are closely related. This particular school is very closely tied to the Inosanto Academy in Marina del Rey California. This school is actually located very close to home. It's around a 10-minute drive as opposed to 40-minutes into Seattle. This makes actually getting to the classes much easier! If I can get home, I can get over there in time to train. On occasion, the evening drives may cut it close as I'e had a few times where I barely made it home by 6 PM. I may have to change at work, but teh "uniform" is sweats & T-shirts so that's not an issue really.



They offer three classes per week; Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays. Also, the JKD, Escrima & Silat are taught as a single block of instruction due to the crossover of techniques. Along with strikes & grappling there's plenty of trapping, sweeps & throws. All of this is a combination of boxing (Western and Thai kickboxing), Jiu Jitsu, wrestling and the traditional martial arts systems of China, the Phillipines, Indonesia and others. It is an extremely comprehensive system.

My real concern here is that with such a complicated system, there tends to be a longer initial period before such techniques can be useful for self-defense. This is much different from Krav Maga or Combato. Ultimately however, it is the mind set that makes the most significant difference regarless of what system one studies. I already... or still... have the basics from Combato down. Training those along with the other techniques... and again, keeping that basic mind set... should serve me fairly well. I'm fairly certain that the workouts here are as brutal as the Krav Maga sessions. These guys seem to focus on the incorporation of ones fitness level being tied to the technique training. So assume three solid cardio sessions in there as well.




No comments: