Saturday, July 25, 2009

Friday's Run...

I hadn't run in a week... due to various excuses. I was feeling extemely tired & hadn't been sleeping well for several days (at least I didnt feel as though I'd been sleeping much at all). So I decided to run Friday afternoon... in 80-degree heat. I also felt that since I had been slacking,I'd be better off running the recovery session from the previous week once again. It's not too difficult, but there's enough actual work in there to get me ramped back up.

I also decided to try a different trail on Friday. Further south, just outside of Orting there's a trail that runs adjacent ot the river. The trail actually extends for several miles south without encountering any streets or similar obstructions. That part worked out well. Since it isn't paved, there are no bicyclers & very little pedestrian traffic. While I did see a few groups enjoying the river, I only saw two other peopl eusing the trail for exercise & both of these women were just setting ot as I was heading back.

One issue I do have is that due to the trails makeup, it's like running on a combination of sand and marbles. There's "gravel" that runs between pea-sized all the way up to rocks the size of the average fist. I appreciate the additional give in the ground... but I could definitely tell that my legs were having to work much harder than on the paved trail that I've become accustomed to. YOU can't run in a straihgt line either. You have to be watching for potholes, dips and larger rocks. Another up side however, is that being next to the river it felt cooler. I took some photos with the phone today & will post them later when I have a chance.

I took Today off & as much as I feel like doing nothing agin tomorrow... I WILL be running. In fact, my plan is to be up by 8 AM & try to get to the trail before the heat really kicks up. The heat makes these sessions tougher but I just feel so much better during the week when I get the exercise in on a regular basis.

No comments: