Monday, July 20, 2009

Gee... I90 West is open again...

Here's what I was greeted by on the commute home. The westbound span has been closed down for the last week or so undergoing... "repairs". The accident occurred only a feet hundred yards in front of me. In fact, as I rounded the corner coming out of the westboung Mercer tunnel, you could still see the spray from the bags of concrete mix (or whatever it was) that had fallen off the back of one of the vehicles.

I90 Crash 2

One interesting thing I noted about this was that while the accident blocked about 2/3 of the westbound lanes... most of the people in the front of the line pulled to the shoulder... AND STOPPED! No... they didn't get out to run over & help. They just stopped on the shoulder to look at the carnage, effectively blocking traffic & making it more difficult for the police & fire vehicles to get to the accident.

I90 Crash 1

You can't tell it from that first photo... but there's at least one more vehicle in behind that semi. It looked like there were two. One is partially underneath the pickup. The other is pinned ahead of it between the semi & the jersey barrier.

The guy in the cone truck in the second photo had been in the right hand lane. He movd over & for a moment I thought that he was trying to get around me to pass. (Some others were... ) He ended up pulling up behind that frame wreckage, turning on his rack lights & coning off the area to clear the debri. Good job guy! (No... it's not a DOT truck. It was some contractor that happened to have cones & a directional light rack on his truck.)

No comments: