Sunday, July 19, 2009

Interval Session Sixteen...

(This is covering Saturdays session... Too busy to write yesterday evening & this AM.)

The first session of week six. It was a "rest" session to recover from week 5 - session three. That was the solid 20-minute running session.

This days leg was fairly easy: 5-minutes of walking, 5-minutes of running... repeat for thirty minutes. I covered quite a bit more distance Saturday. I estimate that I actually went an additional 1/4 mile over what I usually do. This puts me much closer to an actual 5-kilometer distance. I think I've been hitting somewhere around 2.4 miles on the usual trip. Todays was closer to 2.8 miles.

Once again it was the legs that were wanting to give out. I've got the pace down now so I'll have to start working on more conditioning; both with the running sessions as well as slowly beginning to re-integrate the strength training into my regimen.

The runnig sessions are beginning to feel like the weight training session in that those that I want most to skip, end up being the best of the lot. You end up feeling tired... but this is different that feeling the fatigue that I usually have mid-week. The job is slowly draining the life out of me. I don't think it's that I'm not getting enough nightly rest. I think it's that I need to increase the amount of exercize I'm getting.

Some of the very hot days really take it out of me. I started using Gatorade rather than plain water & it's made a HUGE difference. With the water I wasn't feeling like I was rehydrating... even after sucking down around a gallon per night after my runs. If I suck down a pint or so of the Gatorade before the run & then finish the quart afterwards I feel great. Not an endorsement really... I'm just pointing out that for me, the combination seems to work better than water.

No comments: