Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Interval Session Eighteen...

I have no idea what the temp was yesterday. It was supposed to reach 97... and apparently it was hot enoughthat none of the local thermostats were functioning. I had some errands ot run yesterday afternoon so I didn't get out to run until nearly 5:30 PM. Hotter or cooler at that time of the day?

The McMillin trail was blocked. There's a construction crew working in the evenings doing some cabling & they had the trail blocked about 1 mile down from the trailhead. I elected to go to the river trail instead. The river location was PACKED. There must have been 60 people down there trying to cool off. Kids, dogs, moms & fat, beer guzzling dads.

One thing I did to counter the heat was pick up two extra bottles of Gatorade. I chugged one on the trip down to the trail. This actually seemed to work very well. After Sunday mornings run I was drinking water all day & never felt re-hydrated.. I ended up feeling sick at work on Monday; headache, stomach problems... not fun. Monday afternoon I chugged more water... & two bottles of Gatorade. Felt better almost instantly... so it's not just the liquid that I'm losing...

After yesterdays run know that I need to buy some trail running shoes. My lower back & hips are killing me right now because of the additional stress from my shoes slipping on the dirt. I'll probably make that purchase this weekend.

The run was good! This time it was a full 25-minutes. I actually started out slower than I usually do. My feet kept trying to pick up the pace... but this was difficult because of the aforementioned slippage. So... yeah. I badly need trail shoes if I'm going to continue running down there. It was great though. If it wasn't for my back... & the fact that it's already over 80 degrees outside... I'd be feeling fantastic. It's the end of week six. So I should be running a full "5k" in another three to four weeks... depending on how hard I push this last portion of the program. The weather shows few signs of cooling off though. I don't trust the 5-day forcast. They were saying that it would begin cooling on Thursday & now we're hearing that it's going to be 100-degrees again.

No comments: