Sunday, August 9, 2009

Interval Session Twenty-Two...

Well it was nice & cool this morning... until I got to the trailhead. Once I was past the very last bit of shade... out came the sun & the temperature jumped up into the mid to high 70's. Nice & sweaty. That muggy heat that we in the Pacific Northwest have so come to appreciate. Funny that I'd neglected to do laundry so I was wearing sweats instead of my shorts. I also had on one of my heavier T-shirts... because again... it had been about 65 degrees when I left the house.

A solid 28 minutes. I extended the distance approximately 1/10th of a mile... almost to Military Road. So the cool down came relatively early on the return leg. I estimate that once I hit the full 30-minute sessions next week I should be able to squueeze them into teh area between the two main intersections.

I too the extra two days of rest... but I don't think I'll be doing that again. In the last session, by the time I was on my third longer run I was feeling great, despite having been extremely tired through the day previous to running. Last week I wasn't sleeping well; likely due to the humidity. I should have kept on schedule however. The first run after the longer breaks is always more difficult than simply keeping with the scheduel as it falls. The first 2/3rds of this run went fairly well. By the time I was on the return trip however, my legs really wanted to quit. I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Please note that delaying (blowing off) scheduled workouts is hardly ever worth it. If you're truly ill, then take the extra day or two... by all means. If it's that you're lazy then get off of your ass & go do it anyhow. Your "brain" & body will most certainly ALWAYS team up to get you to do the minimum. They'd prefer that you set at home & whittle down pizzas in front of the television. Again, your brain & body will ALWAYS try to convince you to do NOTHING. The nice thing is that if you train the brain, the body will willingly follow.

There was a point to day where my legas WANTED TO QUIT. Make no mistake, my feet wanted to stop running & shuffle back to the car to that bottle of Gatorade. They wanted breakfast. In my mind, I had to make the decision to keep them moving... transmit the "No you dont!" message to the brain & allow it to translate things to the legs. Ten minutes later I was done running & "enjoying" my cooldown walk back to the car... 1/2 mile away.

On a final note: Saturday evening I received an e-mail from Prof. Bradley J. Steiner. He had stumbled across my blog while looking elsewhere. Currently the ONLY individual in the entire digital world who has dared to peruse these pages. This brings up the self-defense training issue again. I still haven't managed to make the drive up to review the advanced Krav Maga class while they train at Woodland Park. They're up there for a few more weeks & I will "try" to make it there next Wednesday. He encouraged me to return to study Combato... and once again I am seriously considering this option. I've already written about the advantages both in the system & even in the scheduling. This is going to end up being one of those times when I simply have to "do something".

No comments: