Monday, August 31, 2009

I'll Be In AGONY Tommorrow!

The first lifting session since February. I used the same weights in all lifts... except the squats. I started out with only the bar. I added 20-pounds instead of 10. Then another 20-pounds... finishing with 3x5 @ 85-pounds. These still felt somewhat awkward... but not nearly as weak as last winter.

The running has definitely conditioned the legs somewhat. I could tell that the strength between left and right was much more even now. I believe that I was likely over-correcting today regardless and that this is what was causing the problems.

The other bright spot was the high pulls. They started off horrible. The bar was too light. I've written about this before I think: at a certain point the weight on the bar actually facilitates proper form... for me. True that too heavy is always a mistake but starting too light means that I'm sloppy and cannot really tell much about my form or how badly I'm pooching the lift until it's weeks or months later and all was wrong.

On the second set I attempted to lift from the second pull. Again the bar was too light. Also, I was not getting enough momentum... and did not want to jerk the bar from that point. So back out of the rack I went. The work sets were done from the floor. The first two were better than the warm up sets. The very last work set was much better. I was getting more of the components of the lift into play. Traps pull AND then the arms, the back straightening... and ending with the bar above the belt line. These still need A LOT of work but they'll come along.

I will be feeling this tomorrow! My legs are feeling already as is my back. I think that the legs will likely recover faster because they've been getting work from the running. The quads have. The hamstrings... they're be aching. My shoulders, chest and back are going to be hurting as well. GRAND! I run again tomorrow!

This week is a test to see just how blown out I am at the end of the week. I think I'll swallow some Ibuprofin... and go get dinner.

No comments: