Sunday, August 16, 2009

Interval Session Twenty-Five...

Whew! I just completed the first, FULL, 30-minute session! I had previously though that this wasn't going to be a big deal because I'd just finished a three-session week running 28-minute segments. What's two minutes, right? The last episode was more of a swim that a run... but I'd finished & it was the worst of the three. I attributed the fatigued to the downpour... & rightly so. I did not stretch at the end of Thursdays’ session because I was already soaked to the bone. All I wanted to do was get dried off, get in the car & get warm. I don’t know if that had anything to do with how I did today.

It was warm. It was actually warmer than it had been all week. So I’m now wondering if I lost my acclimation to the heat. I know it was over 75 degrees. It didn’t really feel that warm… having been running on 80 to 100 degree days. As usual my cardio and respiratory were fine. My legs took another pounding. In fact my quads and hamstrings were aching so badly that I wanted to quit about 2/3 of the way through. The last ¾ of a mile were done on sheer stubbornness. I hadn’t quit during the deluge and I was NOT going to quit now.

At this point I’m unsure how my legs are going to respond once I’m doing squats and high pulls throughout the week along with the running. It’s either going to assist in conditioning them and improve my performance… or it’s going to kill me. Add to that that I’m considering eventually switching to the Celebration route… because I’m getting sick of the drive to Orting. Then I’ll be dealing with the hills as well. If I manage to survive that regimen it should get me in fairly good shape over the fall and winter months.

I’m anticipating the commute worsening once the rains starts in earnest. So my commute home is going to get longer. This is going to cut my running time if I’m driving all the way south to get to a trail. The trail in Federal Way makes more sense from that perspective. Hopefully I’ll be in good enough shape by that time that I can handle it.

I don't see myself trial running then... unless I discover some other area that's adequate. I think that the area around the river may be too muddy. I'm also not sure where the river crests along there. So a lot of the time that trail may end up under water in areas. I also need to take another satellite look at Celebration & map out the path south. I don't think it crosses more than a few streets before it gets to Tacoma.

No comments: