Sunday, May 10, 2009

Foreign Languages...

I'm working more seriously on the Spanish lessons. I'm actually beginning to pick it up fairly quickly just listening during the commute. I find it easier to listen AND FOCUS ON IT then than I do at home on the computer. I also scrounged up my old Spanish language PC course... which I installed & have started looking at.

I'm actually considering getting in a bit of Arabic as well. I'd like to at least be able to list on my CASS application that I'm making an attempt at picking a bit of it up. I don't think that the Brazilian Portugese is all that importat right now because the predominant langnauge in the areas I'd prefer to work is Spanish. Even in Brazil, I can get by on English & Spanish for awhile.

I plan on picking up a Spanish - English dictionary... something fairly comprehensive to peruse at home when I'm not listening to the lessons. That will be my version of immersion Spanish. I don't have time to take a class right now. There's too many other things I need to do. Besides, it takes more money.



I really would prefer to work exclusively in South and Central America but like anything else, one must take the work when & where it comes. Still, I suspect that the majority of "shooters" entering into the field have gleaned all their experience in Iraq & similar locations & that's likely where they will be working. They have contacts & language skills for that arena. I need to hone my skills towards working where I want to work. The better my Spanish, the more likely that I'll be able to secure contracts in that theater as opposed to serving as a bullet maganet in the sand box.

Right now I also need to get my finances in better order. I've been hovering around $2k for about a month... & this time of the year I have extra bills, so it's been difficult to get above that threshold. I'm hoping I can put away some extra on the next few checks but I've tried that before & it always seems to come back out. I need to attempt once again to cut the budget down. Sheesh!

I should still be able to clear $3k by the first or second week of June. That will put me on schedule to have the $3500 deposit together by the time CASS publishes the 2010 schedule. I have to have the deposit together by then. That's the 6-month mark on my contract. I'll know whether or not I still have a job at that point.

No comments: