Friday, May 29, 2009

Couch-to-5k

I made a run to Fry's Electronics today. I picked up the cheapest MP3 player that I could find. I only spent around $20. It's only a 2 Gig & I don't need all the extra crap built into it. All I need is the ability to play the walking\running cadences.

The program I chose is a 9-week course designed to get you from walking to running 3 times per week, five kilometers each run. One thing I like abou ttis one is that unlike a lot of the podcasts that I checked into, thisone has audible tones that clearly define which pace you're supposed to be moving to. They also include warm up & cool down phases. On several of the others I listened to, it was very difficult to even tell when the music tempo changed. I think that these are very well done.

The Couch-to-5k is actually interval training... and is also Fartlek training. I thought it was funny that I "discovered" this today because I was thinking about it the other night. I noticed the similarity & thought that the two would mesh together well. It never occurred to me that the guy who came up with the program intended to have it be an introduction to Fartlek.

This should be a great starting point for the aerobic training & the sessions start out fairly easy. Nine weeks will have me running the full cycles before the end of the summer. It may be a few more weeks before I start adding in the additional training, but I plan on starting the Fartlek this weekend.

No comments: