Saturday, April 4, 2009

So... No Overtime...

Last week we were informed that there would be no overtime authorized. If I recall, the word absolutely was used in the proclamation. Earlier that day I'd gotten a look at some "planning" for the team & it appears that our workload is being tripled (at least). We lost one tester who was cut at his six-month anniversary. The other tester is on vacation for the next two weeks.

Now... I don't mind hard work. It makes the day & week go by quicker. However, I've always resented being set up to fail. I'm hopefully that this is an attempt to justify the staff that we still have. With the pay cuts, the overtime rate cuts & now the announcements that no OT will be authorized, I'm a bit nervous about the future.

The bottom line for me is... MONEY! Not necessarily how much they're paying me, but HOW LONG will they be paying me!? I really don't want to have to go looking for a job come July. For one thing, I'll only be eligible to work another six months at MS. That may hamper my getting another contract. I'm not sure how other companies are going to be, staffing wise. Cutbacks are to be expected all over the industry. I'm wondering if MS will start cutting the existing contractors in order to decrease costs. So those of us, who were hired in at the higher wages & only took the 10% cut, will essentially be forced to take the additional pay cut immediately.

I just want to be earning enough money up until the end of the year to finance getting the hell out of this industry completely & forever! Rather than subsiding, my interest in doing this is becoming stronger every passing day. I'm truly beginning to loathe the place & this feeling actually has nothing to do with the current contract.

I like my current supervisor. I like the other people I'm working with. [Okay. We are down to two... & the one remaining guy is incredibly annoying... but he's terrified of me, so that works!] just think that the industry itself is BS. It appears that in order to get anywhere one must become a narcissistic putz.

I'm even contemplating taking the shorter Private Security course if it turns out that I am unable to get the full financing for the Executive Protection course. I hate to go that route. It isn't what I want to do... & contrary to what some people seem to think, I do not have a death wish. Still, it may end up being the only avenue available. It's not even all that much cheaper than the full 30-day training. I'd be spending around 30% less. It's a little under $4k sans airfare as opposed to a bit over $6k.

All I can really do is work towards the goal & control what I am able to control. Keep working... somewhere... & keep putting cash into savings to get me out of here.

No comments: