Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Second Interval Session...

What is true with strength training session is also true with other training: The one you decide not to skip will be a good one. (I can only say a good one because this is only my second day at this...) First off, it's getting hotter around here. I've been saying since December that I thought we were going to have a very hot summer. We were ROBBED last year, having only two real weeks of decent "summer" weather.

So it hit the mid-80's around work in Redmond today. I had told myself that if the roomies were not home this evening (currently in Las Vegas) I would go ahead & use the treadmill. I made god time getting home & I thought that since the house was a balmy 85, I'd just go ahead & make the trek down to the trailhead. When I got to Puyallup the thermostats downtown said 89 degrees. Uhm...

I'd brought water but I hate trying to carry that crap. Besides, it's only a little over three miles, right? Sheesh! I felt dehydrated about 1/2 mile into the jaunt. I should have MADE MYSELF chug more before I started out. I survived though.

I was actually fairly still in the calves and quads when started out. My first jogging interval was... stiff. After that I was fine. The first jogging interval was also where I had the most problem catching my breath. After that I seemed to kick into the rhythm. I ended much more evenly this time cadence died off almost exactly where it began as far as landmarks.

Thursday will be the end of the first week. This will be my last week smoking. I came to the conclusion the other day that, for myself, quitting has nothing to do with "wanting to quit". Hey, I like smoking. Not the stench, the expense or the inconvenience... but just the action itself. So once again, factor in the pros versus cons. True, there really aren't any pros, anymore than there are with heroin addiction. I already mentioned most of the cons. With the new tax increases, it's nearly $2300 per year. That's insane!

Ultimately, spending the money & having a lump or crap in my lungs where more air would go isn't a positive thing. What's going to make the difference for me though, is just how those detriments add up to kill my momentum for course preparation. I want to be physically "ready" when I apply. I'm nearly at the $3k mark on savings right now and the 2010 schedule should be out in September or October. Two more weeks & I'll have the deposit saved. That's going to be an eye opener. I still cannot believe that I've actually managed to get this far.

I want to be in passable physical condition by September or October. If I can manage to get my derrière into the Krav Maga class, that will add an additional two days of hard training per week. Two additional days that I will hate myself for. Right now I feel like I took a beating. I can imagine feeling this way EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK for a while.

I'm sure that I'll acclimate to the training though. Today’s “run” felt better than the one on Sunday. I’m certain that the one on Thursday will feel better than today’s. Once I begin getting used ot that the Krav classes will start and I’ll acclimate to that as well. I’m probably going to drop one of the running days once I get through this basic 5k training. I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to manage all of this & still get enough rest. I may have to start going to bed an hour earlier every night. That’s a bad idea anyhow but the heat is making it difficult to get to sleep.

No comments: