Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Interval Session Nine...

Yes... two posts today. I wanted to get the second part of that Charles Staley article up but today saw me "running" again & that goes up as well. The articles on circuit training are excellent by the way. Part II gives some great examples and I think that these can be used to form several different routines for various specific purposes or general fitness & strength.

Interval session nine... the end of week three. That leaves six weeks remaining until I'm (allegedly) running a full 5k. I didn't feel much like it today. My pace was good, but I think taking extra time off ruined my rhythm somewhat. I didn't sleep well Monday night & about as bad Tuesday night. So I've been feeling run down. Of course, not getting exercise for a few days exacerbated the condition. I started going into zombie mode again upon arriving home from work. I hate that feeling. I don't like the sensation of fighting to stay awake... and yet realy wanting to take a power nap. If I allowed myself to really nod off I wouldn't be able to get to sleep later that evening.

Regardless, as I said, my pace was good. The changes I’ve made in posture & stride have meant a significant difference in how my legs feel. I’m not suffering nearly the discomfort that I was initially and the issue now is simply that of you garden variety fatigue.

The hills are bothersome however. I’m not sure if I’ve built up to that level yet and although they may seem fairly benign, I can feel the additional stress when going down even these minor grades. It does put some additional stress on the joints. So I think that for now we may go back to running down at McMillen trailhead simply because it’s virtually flat. The grades on that particular trail are barely even noticeable. Over at Celebration I am ALWAYS running up or down a grade and they are significant enough to raise my heart rate, get me puffing and wear on my legs.

The upgrades actually aren’t as bad. I slow down, keep my pace level, back straight & just chug onwards and upwards. On the declines, I have to work to hold myself at the even pace & not allow the hill to pull my speed up, lest my stride & gait get sloppy. I’m beginning to feel something in my knees of late. Here’s hoping that isn’t what it is.

No comments: