Saturday, February 28, 2009

Workout Number Five

I've said before & I will say again; the workout that you want to avoid will usually turnout to be one of your best! I did NOT want to train today. This was a good workout! I'd decided to wait until Saturday again dso I could video tape the training session. (That didn't happen... again. I honestly didn't feel like hauling the camera crap down into the basement. I'll need ot do it next week though. I need to start looking at technique & form befor I get too far into this program.) Regardless, I had planned on getting into the gym around 1 PM. I ended up starting at around 4:45 PM. My brain was trying to come up with reasonable excuses. It didn't matter. I was apparently determined to train. Yeah. I'm surprised as well.

Overhead Presses: 1x5 @ 55-pounds. 1x5 @ 65-pounds & 3x5 @ 75-pounds.

These felt like work. The first two sets (the warmups) felt good & solid. By the time the first work set was up I was pretty well charged. I'd been checkingmy wrist position since I tend to flex the wrist & unevely at that. That doesn't seem to be a problem this time. I'm much more aware of the isssue & I've been taping the wrist, as much so I can feel when they're bending as to add support. I don't kow if that's good or bad. I can see the use of forcing them to hold as a strengthening agent. The work sets were WORK! I actually wasn't certain if I'd be able to complete all reps & sets. That hit me about 1/2 way through the second work set. Then on set number three I managed ot power through & wasn't straining all that much. So we're good to go again with no drop in the weight progression.

High Pulls: 2x5 @ 85-pounds @ 3x5 @ 105-pounds.

Yes, I missed the weigh tchange between the 1st & 2nd sets. I started these out trying to do the 2nd pull from the power rack. I don't think I can do these that way. I just wasn't able to generate enough power to get the bar into motion. They felt like badly performed shrugs. I wasn't doing anything but bending my arms ot try & raise the bar... which didn't work. I was worried that I'd pull my back because they were so awkward. Trying to figure this out I space & forgot to adjust the poundage for the second warmup set.

For the work sets, I just put the bar back on the floor & did them normally... with an attempt at emphasyzing the shrug & then the pull. It took a full set but I managed to get things under control. That 5-pound weigh tincrease felt like a lot more. I suspet it's because I robbed myself of the two warmup sets. They were essentially worhtless... except that I learned that for me, trying to train on the 2nd pull isn't going to work.

By the end of the second work set, I felt pretty good. by the end of thr third, I could feel the pull everywhere I would expet to. Mainly in the traps & shoulders. NOT in the wrong areas of the back. So these should come along well now. The other thing I notced was that if I estimated the height correctly,I was pulling it up to just under teh navel which would be about mid-belt level. So two or three nches & the bar height will be fine. I'd like to have it coming higher but I just started up on these thing again after four years & I'm weak.

Squats: 1x5 @ 65-pounds, 1x5 @ 75-pounds & 3x5 @ 85-pounds.

These are getting interesting. I'm almost tempted to add more than 5-pounds per session but I know what's goign to happen. My legs are finally beginning ot even out, albeit slowly. I'm starting to feel the ;eft leg working & the imbalance isn't nearly as pronounced as it was a weekago. Slow & steady. By the time we're at 135-poudnds for the first warmup things should be normal. I think I'm progressing at the proper speed for recovery & allowing the left leg to get its strength back. The hips are getting a workout. It's been a few hours since training & my legs are beginnignto feel it. :)

Bent Over Rows: 1x5 @ 65-pounds, 1x5 @ 75-pounds & 3x5 @ 85-pounds.

I'm beginning to feel the bicep & back work from these. (I mean, I'm beginning to feel it overall... & RIGHT NOW I'M FEELING IT!) These went well but I had to force myself to slow down.

Overall I feel tired. My legs, upper & mid-back & biceps are going to be sore tomorrow. The traps, shoulders & triceps not until Monday. I can tell. The cycle is going to go like it did after the first training session. First th elegs... & then everything else.

This is the first time that my biceps got a decent workout. It's due to both the rows & the high pulls. It does bother me to have my squats be so far behind. They're the same weight as my bent over rows in weight & only a few pounds above my overhead presses. The high pulls are heavier than anything else. That seems odd. I'm not sure how the weight is going to change. I may reach a point within a month or so where I keep the other lifts where they are & focus on getting the squats up there. Also, I don't know how the leg issue is affecting the high pulls. That may be why I don't have the same push power that I used to. I may do that sooner in fact. Perhaps when the big lifts reach teh 135-pound level I'll hold for the squats & work them hard in order ot get the strength surge going. I don't like them lagging behind so much when the squats are the big builder. In order fo rme toget things where they should be, the squats need to be well out in front of the other lifts, especially the overhead presses & the rows. It's also funny that I'm so strong in the rows after having the back injury. Confusing that.

No comments: