Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I Need More Motivation...

I'm not spending enough time on the Spanish lessons. Common opinion is that it takes in excess of 250 hours to become functional at a conversational (not native fluency) in a foreign language. Currently I can stumble my way to an airport, train station, find the restrooms & order a beer or a taxi.

The Learn-In-Your-car CD's are decent... especially for the money, but I'm looking into augmenting them somehow. I'm still thinking about Rosetta Stone. I thought that I'd get more of an immersion effetc if I were utilizing the LIYC product... in the car & then had the Rosetta Stone installed on the home PC. I think it's easier fo rme to concentrate on the subject matter at home because during teh commute I'm busy avoinding morons in traffic. Still, when I do listen to the CD's in teh car, I manage to get around an hour in each direction (to & from work).

Here are some of teh options I'm considering. I'm not all that jazzed about spending yet more money on language software. It's taking money away that I should be puttinginto savings for the EP course itself.


Michael Thomas Speaks Spanish

Tell Me More... but HOLY CRUD this product is expensive!

SPE Police Functional Spanish. I actualy think that this might be very helpful in certain aspects.

I still have some other Spanish language DVD set around here somewhere. That one consist sof "scenes" where characters are conversing in Spanish & you are listening to them while reading the Enlish translation.

Interstingly, nearly all of these rely on memorization. Whatever I do, I simply need to start putting th ehours in & (like everything else I'm involving myself in for this career change) force myself to do it.

And no, I really do not want to spend the money. I already put enough of a dent in teh savinsg account this month thanks to a few legitimate expenses and that stupid trip to Centralia... which cost far more than I was intending to spend. I went through what was supposed to be a weeks worth of cash in a single evening. I CANNOT do that anymore.

No comments: