Friday, March 13, 2009

Finally Over The Cold

I think I've finally managed to beat the company bug. I've had three or four days of waking up & feelinf "normal". So it's back to the weight training tomorrow. I'm goingto leave most of the weights where they were during teh last training session. The squats are my main concer right now. Firstly, they're so light that I'm basically squatting what I'm pressing overhead.

I need to get the squat weights up so that everything else will respond. None of the other lifts are goign anywhere until I get the squats up around body weight. That's going ot mean adding more than five pounds per session for a while. I think I may start out with a five-pound increase tomorrow but then do 10-pounds for a while after that until I get the weight up a bit.

I'll leave the other weights static for now (especially the high pull) to allow myself to get back into the swing & put the squat well ahead of them where it belongs. I may also video tape tomorrow.

On the subject of self-defense training, I missed the start up class for Krav Maga once again. This is the second time I've had the flu when a session started. Another time saw me scrambling to get to a last-minute job interview... that was a complete waste of time.

So now I need to decide if I'm going to wait another two months or just try to get back into Combato. Both systems have their advantages. I t'd like to try out the Krav Maga classes in Seattle though. If I end up taking the skills with me, Krav Maga has a very large following & one reason I was particularly interested in the IKMF school was because of their affiliates in South America. Krav Maga Brazil has over 70 schools down the coast in virtually every major city in Brazil. They also have academies now in Argentina, Uraguay, Chile... oh and yes Mexico. I think that if I manage to make it down there I'll want to continue studying. The plan would be to turn that into a second career.

The problem is having to wait another two months before I can start up. I could begin Combato a lot sooner. Combato has more classes available & the schedule is much more opened. Combato is a more complicated system however.

I do have the two-day Target Focus Training seminar coming up at the end of March. That will be interesting & I'm really looking forward to it. This will likely be the last training session held in the Seattle area according to TFT. One thing about this seminar is that I'm likely to meet some like-minded individuals. These would be people that I may actually be able to train with over the next year.

One thing I'm curious about is how the TFT will mesh Krav Maga and Combato. I'm pretty creative so I think that the things I learn at the seminar will augment either system. Both systems are fairly straight forward, but my one concern is the weapon defenses. TFT is far more opened that Krav Maga. It's probably closer to what would be taught in American Combato. No attempts at controlling the weapons. Simply attacking the attacker. One thing about this is that they don't seem focused on collateral damage which Krav Maga seems to be. Krav has a lot of focus on fighting in enclosed spaces. It will be an experiment. I may like it... or I may decide that it's not for me. I'm always skeptical of new systems. Especially ones that have been so lauded by the media.

I could use another two months of getting in shape before I enroll in KM. I've dropped around 13-pounds over the last two months just by changing my diet & the beginnings of the workouts. More aerobic work on the treadmill & the trails wouldn't hurt. I noticed that within the last week I've been slipping backinto taking the unintended power naps when I get home. I really hate that but I'm feeling tired. I had none of that while I was weight lifting & I've skipped breakfast the last few days as well.

One other thing about Krav Maga is that it is fairly well known (and respected) as a functional system among military, law enforcement, security & protection teams. I think that it's likely I'll run into training that incorporates Krav. I also suspect that I'll meet some people who've trained in it & taken their executive protection specialization courses. It may look better on my application than something that may be unknown & somewhat obscure. I suspect that the weapons defenses that I'll see as well as the formations & much of the other curriculum are influenced by Krav Maga or aimilar systems. The Israeli's are heavily invested in close protection & security training. The close protection course taught by the IKMF also interests me. It may make a good addition to training once I get things rolling.

No comments: