Saturday, January 10, 2009

No Krav

No Krav Maga. My "plan" was foiled thanks to a last minute job interview. I got a phone call around 11:30 AM that one candidate had cancelled his interview & asking if I'd be interested. Being... broke I said yes. I managed to haul myself in there a few minutes after 2 & endured the interview process. It "went well"... but I didn't get hired.

Not a great loss there. The position was for the operation of build servers & that means setting & watching... waiting for a blue screen. Then logging a bug & starting over. Those positions make for very long days because every build needs to be done by EOD. Sorry, but I need some free nights during the week.

As for the classes, I didn't have time to pack my workout clothing before I left for the interview. I couldn't wear my workout clothing to the interview... though it may not have made much difference now that I think about it. So I decided to drive all the way home (about 40 miles) & if possible, change into my gear & head north again. FAIL! It's a 40 minute drive on a good day. Wednesday was NOT a "good day". Heavy rain & idiot drivers. So no Krav possible until March. (They only allow enrollment at the beginning of each eight week period.)

So... I've decided to forego the Krav Maga training for now. Bradley Steiner teaches American Combato right across the street from that community center. If I was willing to drive all the way up there, then what the heck.

Besides, the Combato is a known quantity. I know what I'll be getting. It's time to nail down a system & get serious about training. That & developing a reasonable running & weight training program should have me in shape for the Target Focus Training course in March. I actually think that the TFT will mesh better with Combato than with Krav Maga.

Lastly, I had yet another interview today. It was everything that the previous one was not. I knew about it the day before so I was able to get up early (having done my laundry the night before!). I made it there early. As it turned out this position is actually something of a combination of my previous two contracts. I nailed it. In fact I was essentially hired about 2/3 of the way through. It feels pretty good knowing I'll be back in the grind in a week or so. I need the money.

No comments: