Thursday, December 24, 2009

So... Yeah...

Ahhh... a four-day weekend. Not the two-week, unpaid break that we'd been told to expect. It's bitter-sweet. On the one hand, obviously I couldn't afford to take two weeks off without pay. On the other... I'd already prepared myself to be broke and unhappy. Now I've had to shift gears. I'll be not-quite-so-broke... but still unhappy. We're not going to get enough hours to make up entirely for the days off.

The other thing that's got me down was that I was semi-psyched to use the off time to really crank on the Combato training sessions. I did manage to get started up again, during the first week of October. I've been averaging three sessions per week but was hoping to be able to get in six for during that two week break. Not happening now.

Of course, I'll be unemployed after January 18th... so it's likely that I'll have time to attend every class for a while. I'm almost ready to test for yellow belt already and I'd like to do that by the end of January. I'm stoked about that and anxious to get through it and begin the yellow belt training so I can hammer the green belt test in less than six months.


Right now I'm not sure if I'll wait out the break in service again and go back to MS or take a security gig and avoid the madness. The security job will mean working either swing or graveyard most likely.

I'd prefer graveyard. While this plays havoc on the sleep schedule, it means being able to attend Combato classes six times per week. Working swing means only being able to get in to the day-time classes which are Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Then again... sometimes I feel like I don't get the house to myself enough... which would make swing shift more ideal.

No comments: